Marikina: A Leather How To

Metro Manila, I love you. So many hidden gems in this metropolis. Lately I have been exploring Marikina. I previously wrote about my leather shopping experience earlier this year. My leather journey has come a long way.

I spent over 5 visits finding affordable leather and an artisan/leather worker who can custom make a product. I am by no means an expert but this is what worked for me. Keep in mind, I don’t speak Tagalog and I am a foreigner. The prices seem reasonable to me and I did the best I could with my skills. If you have better resources please please please share! I am always wanting a better and more efficient process. When you do go make sure you eat at Rustic Mornings. Oh my!

If you are on this journey with me find details below. 🙂 You can find all the shops for a bag, shoes, belt custom made located on one street, Dela Paz Street in Sto. Nino, Marikina.

DSC03330
I picked this bag up on a recent trip to Vigan but the leather straps were hardly leather and falling apart. I picked out the leather at Leather World and Pando fixed them up nicely.

Meet Pando. After nearly 7 shop keepers and vendors Pando told me “yes!” Finally, someone who could help. He makes the shoes photographed plus belts, wallets and custom orders. *I am currently getting a pair of shoes made and will post when they are complete. DSC03077Pando’s shop, Khielyn Enterprise. I am obviously still learning to use my camera, sorry for the harsh light. DSC03075My friends, meet Otto. Yes, THE Otto of the famous shoe of The Philippines. His uncle owns and runs Otto Shoes while Otto himself owns and operates the shop, Leather World. Otto is where I previously bought leather and posted about. PSSST- Leather World is cheaper by 20-40pesos per square foot. DSC02790DSC03074Jake needed a new belt and that was a perfect place to start with our leather expedition. When getting any item custom made here always keep the expectation that it is indeed handmade, may take some time and it won’t be exactly how you have it envisioned. I have tried multiple tailors until I find one that fits. I would have tried multiple leather workers but Pando’s belts turned out spectacular. That, and a dozen told me no before Pando. IMG_6290The street corners are E. Dela Paz and V. Santo Street, Sto. NiÑo.DSC03071If you are making a belt or shoes you can pick out your buckle and other items at Shoe Supply. Located on the same street just a few stores up as Leather World and Khielyns. DSC03072A few more shots of the market bags I had re-strapped. DSC03328Jakes belt. He picked out the width, length, leather and buckle. We had two belts made for 600php. Amazing really. DSC03337DSC03335Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 1.11.43 PM

Pando’s contact details: Smart 0919-570-9506 Globe 0936-615-6633.

Things to know:

1. Bring a photo or item that you want to get made and ask Pando if he can indeed make the product.
  2. Pick out the leather at Leather World, next door to Khielyn’s (Pando’s shop).
  3. Buy any remaining buckles or pieces you might need from Shoe Supply, just up the road.
  4. Make a deposit and receive receipt.
  5. Pando will text when your items are read.

You can email me questions at amommabroad(at)gmail.com or on instagram: amommabroad.

20 Comments Add yours

1. Di says:

Thanks for posting this info, I’ve been wanted to do a few leather projects so this is perfect!

1. amber says:

Great! I hope you go and enjoy.

2. Mao says:

Perfect! Thank u! I’ve been looking for leather shop in Marikina. Question though, are leathers full grain? I wanted to have a my travel pouch or envelop in full leather plain. I’ll surely go to where u went! Thanks!

1. amber says:

Great, glad this was helpful. Not sure if they have full grain. Good luck!

3. LJ says:

Hi, you can also visit Winner Industrial Corporation, they’re located at 84 F. Mariano Ave. Bgy. Dela Paz, along Marcos Highway near Marikina. They are the only local manufacturer of synthetic (faux) leather in the Philippines so they always have stock, and can customize leather.

1. amber says:

Woah awesome, thank you!

2. Billy says:

May contact number ka nung shopna to? Thanks

4. Ann Marq says:

This is so helpful. I just discovered your blog and read so many posts! You have a lovely family and such a joyful spirit. Such a fun read.

1. amber says:

Thank you so much for your kind words. I hope you go and enjoy Marikina. Good luck.

5. Reuel says:

Hey Amber I love the post. Going leather shopping
    Next time I’m in Manila.
    Just wondering where I can get “Bulacan Pullside Leather”
    Or Leather tools?
    Thanks Reuel

6. Remy says:

Thank you very much for sharing this! Exploring for good quality belt! God bless!

7. Thank you for the very helpful blog you’re posting for everyone to know. I’m based here in in Manila but never knew that we have such quality leather goods sources or suppliers here

8. mark leynard says:

hello amber… i know kuya pando and he’s a good friend of mine.. i also do hand made leather goods like wallets and bags i also bought leather at otto and leather world…i love reading your blog and as i notice is your husband jake? what a coincidence i work for EV for more than 6 years. im not sure if he knows me but luke ricci were use to see more often..

9. Catherine says:

This is helpful. I’ve been looking for a store where I can buy leather straps for the crochet bag I’ve been working on. Thanks!

1. amber says:

Happy to hear! Hope it all works out

10. Andrew says:

Hi would you know of any shop that tailor make leather jackets? Thanks

1. amber says:

Hi Andrew, I am so sorry I don’t and I really wish I did!

1. Andrew says: