Who knew you could make a day trip out of Marikina? It really has so much to offer and I love exploring up there. It’s accessible, good food and diverse in offering.
Here is your itinerary for how to DIY Marikina:
- Start by eating breakfast at Rustic Mornings (I did just recently get charged for a glass my son broke which annoyed me but I cannot lie that they have the best breakfast).
- Search for leather at Otto or go to his nephew’s shop and have Pando custom make you a belt, bag, wallet or shoes.
- Hit the wet market for fruits and vegetables (drop bags at car).
- Explore the dry market! The dry market is the biggest treasure trove yet! Below you will find a map of my favorite vendors and their locations. Bring items you want sewn/made. You can buy the fabric there and then walk just a few stalls over to your seamstress!
- There is even a party store just left of the dry market. They have all things party. No need to trek out to Divasoria.
- After you have worked up an appetite finish by eating at Krung Thai located just under the dry market.Download MARIKINA DRY GOODS MARKET map
Things to know:
- The Dry Market entrance I have photographed is located at the ground at W. Paz corner M. Cruz Sta. Elena, Marikina City, Philippines
- As you hop around Marikina you might acquire bags. Bring a backpack or if you have a car leave them there.
- A word on managing expectations, you may not find everything your first trip, if available come back for more. The seamstresses don’t often use irons and sometimes come with a 50php fee for the iron. Use multiple vendors until you find one you like. If someone is making something for you get their contact info so you can check on progress etc.
- You can buy fabric at the dry market and then find a seamstress the next row over. It is all so convenient. Lalim has so many different types of fabric. If you do not see one just ask her. She helped us find canvas, chambray, lining etc.
- It is clean and organized but large. I recommend downloading and taking the MARIKINA DRY GOODS MARKET map with you. Go a few times to become familiar.
- You can do all your shopping in one trip; fabric, clothing, home and groceries!
- There is a parking lot directly across from Krung Thai.