Investing In Motherhood

The other day while at a lunch someone introduced me as a ‘Mommy Blogger’. I had no idea I was a ‘Mommy blogger’. I was floored and apparently decrepit. Joke lang. I had never realized that my blog and Instagram handle, ‘A Momma Abroad’ (parodied from the tv show, An Idiot Abroad) would pigeon hole me into a mommy blog. I know, duh. I should have known that from the beginning. I don’t even write about parenting crap. I don’t even write about kid crap! Sometimes I Instagram about my childrens’ literal crap, like how they finger paint with it. I write about what I love to do in Manila with my family and my love affair with The Philippines… as a mom. Well, I guess I am a ‘mommy bloggger’ but I would like to think I am breaking the mold. Maybe just a little.Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 9.01.35 PM

If I have to fit a mold, I am going to make it my own. I’ll pivot where my interests are because I can and because I am capable. For now, I’ll assume my role as a ‘Mommy Blogger’ and launch a new series on my blog, Investing In Motherhood. As I said before, I write about my life in Manila. Manila is where I learned and continue to learn, how to be a mom. My oldest was born in Seattle, but I spent my entire pregnancy here in Manila, moving back to The US just a few weeks before he was born. Later, I delivered two babies in Makati Med in 2012 and 2014.  Manila is where Jake and I started and continue to grow our family. Manila has taught me how to be a mom, and for that, I owe her this series.

DSC_4510
Pregnant with my oldest in 2010. We lived in The Fort at the time and moved to Seattle just a few weeks before he was born.

_DSC7355
Learning to be a mom is tiring but it is also so very rewarding. *My oldest and I. We moved back to Manila a few months after this photo.

IMG_0015
In 2012 we became a family of four. *Photo taken at Manila American Cemetery.

Folkman13
In 2014 we became a family five!
I love being a mom! It’s messy, tiring and a lot of the times draining. It is, however, super fulfilling, fun and full of love and growth. Since I am an American raising our kids in a foreign country our home is a mix of cultures but the resources are primarily lokal.

I love the movement here of ‘hands on mom’. We all do it differently but what is important is finding a way to do it joyfully. Finding ways to invest in motherhood and create more joy in the journey is what I hope to spark through this collaboration series. This last year I have been a part of a great and growing community and want to share my voice and the voice of others to help identify ways to invest in motherhood. This concept came from two experiences: Magformers (not a sponsored post, I promise!) and a quote: “Invest in people who invest in you.” I was sitting and playing Magformers with my boys and realized how much I love this toy and this time with my kids because I enjoy what I am doing. When I linked these feelings with the quote above I had a moment of clarity, “I want to bank on what I love in motherhood!”

IMG_4019
The community here has done so much for me. I am so grateful for friends who have taught and inspired me.
Everyone does it a little differently and I am so grateful. There is no one way and I hope the dialogue we share through this collaboration will generate ideas to inspire all of us. My hopes are to aid in identifying what you can invest in your own motherhood to find more joy. The intent is not to leave you buying the next trendy toy or book but to identify what you and your child enjoy together. I have rounded up a group of powerful mothers to share their wisdom on various topics ranging from arts and crafts to work ethic. Investing In Motherhood is a four part series starting this week in March and will continue throughout the year. I hope you will take this journey with me. We will be better for it, I just know it.

IMG_3955
Me in my natural habitat.
Other posts in this series:

17 Comments Add yours

1. Love this!!! And love, you. You give me strength and motivation just reading it.

1. amber says:

Haha, oh you’re nice Carrie! Thanks so much for being excited. I hope we all take something away to make us happier!

2. A little says:

Yaaaay! Props to my mama! This is awesome to read & yes, love hearing your voice in any way I can.

1. amber says:

You’re good to me Annie. Thank you!

3. Micah says:

Love it! Excited to see where this goes.

1. amber says:

Thanks for helping me get here.

4. I ADORE YOU!!! Mommy blogger or not 😛

1. amber says:

Seriously, you make everything better. Thank you so much for reading and the comment.

5. Mom-Friday says:

Hello, “mom blogger”! It’s official! (Truth be told, I’m not fond of that term.) 😁😁😁 First time dropping by and looking forward to your series! Happy blogging!

6. I love this Amber!! I hear you 100%! It’s a tough job being a mom but so rewarding…and I do love it even though I am flying by the seat of my pants…eeps!! In truth I love blogs by other moms that show parenting as it really is, and have genuine sharing of experiences. That’s pretty much the only “mom literature” I read! I stopped reading parenting magazines and articles a while back they only ever made me feel incompetent and lacking 😦 It’s hilarious though because a single parenting article can do more damage to my self-esteem than a thousand supermodels in a thousand fashion magazines ever could (so yes, I do still read fashion magazine, haha)! Anyways, I am so looking forward to this series and sharing the joy!! 🙂

1. amber says:

Joey!!!!! Thanks so much for stopping by. I’m totally with you about how much an impact only one conversation or article can be. In real life dialogue I’m quite candid with how intense motherhood can be- I hope this comes across here too. So funny about the fashion magazines- I didn’t even realize it but I’m the same. Haha! I think you’re just the best girl. Thanks again for “stopping by”. Xo

7. Patty | MrsC says:

Hey Amber! I love that you are doing this series! There’s so much that us moms can learn from each other, and I’m excited to learn from you and with you.

I’ve just entered into a whole new phase in parenting – the highly emotional, hormonal, and smelly tween years, O.M.G.!!! It’s crazy. At times I feel so lost. But I love it. On most days hahaha. So this is a great time for me to re-assess where I am now as a mom, and prepare for the changes that are coming in 3…2…1… Lol.

Can’t wait to read more of your Investing in Motherhood posts! 🙂

1. amber says:

Ah thanks Patricia for your sweet comment. We have so much to learn from one another! Since we can’t always chat I hope this series feels like a dialogue more than a parenting piece. And yes, I feel that motherhood changes daily! How do we keep up? Thanks friend. Xo

8. Anna Trogo says:

That poopy pic is just too adorable to me because it encapsulates what a day of potty training feels like to me (HAHA). I completely agree that motherhood is very (very very very) tiring sometimes, but it also very (very very very) rewarding and fulfilling. I have a 2 year old daughter and I believe that quitting my job to invest in her well-being is the right choice. I will watch out for this series!

1. amber says:

Hi Anna, it’s sssoooo tiring. I just fell asleep waiting for my son at school. Haha! Thanks for stopping by. Cheers to motherhood.