Becoming Filipino, Birthday Edition

dsc00129
Magical Chanda Poppins with Wells and my birthday spread. She had it all ready for when I came down in the morning, heart swelling!

The longer I live here the more I love it. I was really good at being negative our first two years here. Things were different than my own culture and I wasn’t sure how long we would actually be here in Manila. Well, we moved out of my bubble of Makati and dug our roots a little deeper with an open ended contract and decided to stay in Manila for a long while. It was during this time I decided to try social media as a tool to show life in Manila. Finally, I found Filipino friends and a real barkada. My kids picked up some Filipino vocabulary and my Filipino pallet broadened. It’s almost like I flipped a switch and my outlook changed, I think for the better. I can see our family adding more and more Filipino culture into our culture and I recently wrote a post titled, Becoming Filipino. Well, here is an addendum, My Filipino Birthday.

img_9206
The boys were ready to party! Soda is just so fun.
img_9210
Chanda brought me the biggest puto cake ever!
dsc00133
Picnik picnik
dsc00137
Wells and Lolo Max, our neighbors driver. Lolo Max is always so kind to our family and even taught Wells how to mano (bless), it’s my favorite. He even washes out our garbage most days. I am so grateful for his kindness.
dsc00142
More neighbors
dsc00141
Our neighbors are incredible! Kuya June helps us find uling, Jek Jek always gives our kids candy (this is actually a struggle, ha!), Lito always makes sure the kids are safe in the street and Lolo Jean is very much a lolo.

A few weeks before my brithday we had a picnic in our driveway, it is a moment I hope to hold forever. Kuya Oben ran to the sari sari for snacks, I brought out the plastic and everyone mingled sitting on the driveway. It felt good and I felt fully submerged in a culture and in a way of life different than my own. It was endearing and I loved it. I asked Chanda if we could have a picnic for my birthday and she threw one amazing party. We don’t live near aunts and uncles but these neighbors surely are our kapatid.

dsc00144
KAPATID
dsc00182
Also, my friends tita is a seamstress so I got a jumper made for $6.32 for myself for my birthday! Perks of The Philippines I tell ya.
img_9250
Oh yes I did!

15 Comments Add yours

1. About Bae says:

I love your jumpsuit! And I love the fact that you celebrated your birthday in such a humble manner. ❤️

1. amber says:

Hi Bae! Thanks so much for reading and commenting. It was so fun to have a real Filipino fiesta. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. amber says:

And thanks for the jumpsuit comment! I need to wear it again. Trying to be more brace

2. Belated Happy birthday 🙂

1. amber says:

Salamat!

Liked by 1 person

3. vinneve says:

Belated Happy B-day! I like your jumpsuit or shall we say pajama but it doesn’t look like one as it’s very stylish and the fabric looks fine. Glad to see you are enjoying PH so much and yes I agree have to be positive to see the pleasures around you as I did here in UAE. Soon will visit PH for X’mas hope to meet you as I have said before. Cheers!

1. amber says:

Hurray! You’re coming for Christmas.

Liked by 1 person

4. isla ng gunita says:

Super belated happy birthday amber! 🙂 new reader here and well, I just want to thank you for the positivity! Your posts are just so engaging and it makes me appreciate all that we have here in Manila! Makes me want to explore it more too!

1. amber says:

I am so happy to hear this! I really just want people to love where they live, especially Manila. Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment and encouragement. I am so grateful. Happy new year!

Liked by 1 person

5. Bethany Spears says:

OH my goodness, I just love your blog! Thank you so much for your lovely posts. 🙂 I already thanked you on IG today, but I just had to something for your blog. Salamat po, Ate!

1. amber says:

Gaaah I am so kilig over your Tagalog. Galing naman! We should meet!

6. Bethany Spears says:

And you look fabulous in a jumpsuit!

7. Cristina Fernandez says:

Great party! Love your jumpsuit!

1. amber says: